Thursday, April 23, 2009

Geneva swings

Geneva Swings
originally uploaded by billaday.

I've always liked these types of shots, and have wanted to take one for a while. My original plan was to have my friend swing his daughter around, and I'd put my dSLR where his shoulder is. Then, I could get fine tune the composition, aperture, exposure, etc.

Here is what really happened:
Geneva kept trying to climb up and down the stairs. Up and down. Up and down. So, to avoid having her inevitably fall, I distracted her. She asked me to swing her, so I did. I reached into my pocked and grabbed my point-and-shoot (Canon SD870 IS). I was careful to not drop her, but knew that I may drop (and step on) my camera. I was only cupping it with my palm and one finger on the shutter. I'm surprised I could even push the shutter button. So I swung her around and snapped three shots. One had her looking away, one had a blurry face, and one was awesome.

Interestingly enough, I took what I learned from a blurry grass shot of my dog. I was able to get a good shot in only three tries here; with my dog, I took 40 pictures to get one good one. I guess I really am learning about photography, and getting better (or at least faster) at taking shots.

Year 3, Day 134

No comments: